By 1750, Crabtree Lane ( Faulkner Street) was a very useful path over the dry parts of Moss Lake Fields, leading up from Duke Street and on to Smithdown Lane and Lodge Lane. The hollow and slope of the grounds meant that just to the left of this, heading out of town, the Moss Lake Brook formed itself into a coherent stream. This ran North pretty much under and a few yards east of the course of Chatham Street, where St Catherine’s Church would later stand. Stonehouse’s path cut pretty much across the current Abercromby Square, to a wooden footbridge over the brook roughly where Oxford Street meets Chatham Street, then split left along what is now Grove Street, and right up the hill to Smithdown Lane, around the wonderfully suitably peaty soil that later formed the home of the Botanic Gardens, and from there to Wavertree Road and Edge Lane. The stone bridge he refers to is one of the two crossing the brook further on, either at the intersection of Daulby Street and Pembroke Place, at the town end of the Royal Hospital, or, as that had been partly blocked by this point, more likely where Peach Street meets Brownlow Hill, next to the new University Halls of Residence.
And this brings us to the birth of the Square and the need to expand the town outwards and to create the new planned residences. And the story of the Square itself started a good forty years before the first house was built.